Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Turkeys

Okay, so I know the theme for this month is thankfulness, but I realized today that I don't think I've mentioned the turkeys, and since Thanksgiving is almost here, I figured they deserve at least a short posting.  We started off with 12 poults in May.  Aaron's mom raised them until they were a couple months old and less fragile.  Good thing, because here we are in November and we're down to a total of 6--two toms and four hens.  The others got "lost" along the way (probably eaten by coyotes or stray dogs).  They've actually been pretty entertaining to raise, as they're a lot more engaged and curious than the chickens or guineas.  Most of our friends and family who've come to visit think they're creepy, though.  Sometimes if the bedroom window curtain is open you'll open your eyes in the morning to see turkeys peering at you through the glass.  I'll admit it's a little weird.  They run to greet us when we come outside in the mornings and when we pull up in the driveway in the evenings.  And if you gobble at them, they'll gobble right back.  Kai especially thinks this is amusing.  Anyway, that's all I can think of to say about turkeys right now. 

1 comment:

  1. Diane, you've inspired me to contemplate on all the things, little and big, that I am so thankful for! Thanks for your blog. I always enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete