Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Monday, February 16, 2009
There is an enormous feedlot just outside of Lubbock that we passed by on our way back home from a visit to see Amanda this weekend. It is so disgusting to think that these cows are packed into this dirt field like sardines. It is unhealthy for the cows, the people that eat this beef, and the environment surrounding the feedlot. While we are not vegetarians, seeing this feedlot renewed our committment to try to avoid eating and buying beef that is not pasture-raised. This seems like the best choice for us at this point.
This was a full page advertisement in the Lubbock newspaper on Saturday. Really? Free boots when I buy a new truck? Wow...that sounds like a great deal. Because everyone knows you can't drive a truck without a shiny new pair of boots. And who in the world would wear boots without driving a truck? Okay, I'm in.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Broccoli seedlings looking less awesome:
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
1. I have had 10 grandparents in my lifetime…2 of them are still going strong.
2. I currently have two pets named Roscoe: a miniature schnauzer and a llama. I like the dog a lot better than the llama.
3. Sometimes I wish I could just relive my 20s over and over again. I really enjoyed that decade.
4. Before 2006 I barely knew how to hammer a nail. Now I can fix just about anything that needs fixing, and if the market was better, might even consider flipping houses. (or not)
5. After college I told myself I would live anywhere except Dallas. Eight years later I live in Venus, a short 40 minute drive south of the city I said I would never return to. Sigh.
6. I really don’t like cold weather, but loved living in Ann Arbor. The friends made up for the snow, I guess.
7. I never imagined in a million years that I would live on a farm, but I love it and cannot imagine wanting to live anywhere else.
8. I LOVE everything about my job…the students, the colleagues, the research, the freedom.
9. I daydream often about being able to grow all of the food needed to feed my family.
10. Until my parents moved to The Heights neighborhood in Houston last summer, I thought I hated Houston. Now I am in love with it.
11. I finally feel like a real big sister (and not just a second mother) to Amanda, who is 12 years younger than me.
12. I had no clue what a crazy roller coaster the adoption process could be and I am currently hanging on for dear life, anxious for the ride to be over soon.
13. I’ve been searching for a church home off and on for the past six years and finally found what I was looking for last week.
14. I met my husband, Aaron, in my freshman year of college (Oct. 1996) and we’ve been together ever since. I love him more each day we spend together. Cheesy, but true.
15. It blows my mind when I think about how much I have changed since high school. Weird.
16. I buy 90% of my clothes secondhand. The other 10% I buy new in moments of weakness.
17. I have absolutely no rhythm whatsoever. I also think that rhythm is a difficult word to spell. Also license.
18. I am a huge football fan. When I was in 6th grade I wanted to become the first female pro football referee, and used to practice signals in my bedroom mirror.
19. I wish I had gone into the Peace Corps after I graduated from college.
20. I heated my house all winter with a wood stove just to see if I could do it.
21. I hate needles, snakes, and rye bread.
22. I currently drive a 1992 white Toyota Tercel, and I LOVE it. It is older than the first car I ever had, a 1994 Toyota Corolla. I bought it last year from an old lady for $3K. It had 30K miles on it.
23. I miss singing and wish they had “Lads and Lassies” for grownups.
24. I love crafts and sewing, and am constantly making something. But I have very little patience, so I hate projects that take a long time. Knitting, quilting, and needlepoint are therefore out.
25. I love staying up late and watching “B” horror movies on tv with Aaron. But afterwards, if he falls asleep first, I get totally freaked out thinking about zombies.