Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chicks, Man!


We got home from work last night and two of the chicks were peeping inside the incubator! It was so exciting. I guess we had estimated our 21 days wrong, because we thought they were going to be hatching today or tomorrow, so it was a surprise. It is absolutely facinating to watch them hatch out of their shells. I feel like I'm in my first grade classroom all over again. So far we've had 8 chicks hatch, which I think is great, because to be honest I didn't think any of them would hatch. This whole incubator/egg turner contraption seems complicated. As you can see, they are pretty ugly when they come out of the shell, but they get progressively cuter as they dry and get more fluffy. I highly recommend incubating and hatching eggs to anyone considering it. It is so much fun!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I think they're cute even all wet and icky. It brings me back to my Junior Zookeeper days at the Dallas Zoo. I got to see a chicken hatch.

    ReplyDelete