Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I'm thankful for: Ruby

Okay, it's Ruby's turn...


Honestly, even when I was a little girl, I always had this nagging suspicion that I wouldn't be able to get pregnant when I grew up.  I have no idea why, but I always just felt that way.  Maybe I was just a pessimistic child?  So, anyway, when I grew up and we began trying to start our family the traditional way and nothing was happening, I wasn't totally shocked.  We tried for a couple of years, and when we still weren't pregnant, we started our adoption journey.  We knew we wanted to have children--how we got there didn't matter much in the end.  So, you can imagine our surprise when we found out we were pregnant with Ruby a year and a half after welcoming Kai and Pla Shee into our family.  Three kids in 2 years--yikes!
Throughout the 9 months that I was pregnant with Ruby, I reminded myself to enjoy the experience of being pregnant, because it was something that I thought I wouldn't ever experience.  And I can honestly say I did enjoy it.  I felt great for the most part, and despite a blood pressure issue that required more frequent visits to our midwife and a partnering physician, everything went smoothly.
The birth experience was absolutely amazing, and I am so glad that I had the privilege of being able to experience giving birth in the way that I did.  I wrote a little bit about what it was like here.  Ruby is six weeks old now, and is finally out of her preemie clothes and into newborn size.  Today I'm specifically thankful for the fact that she slept all through the night last night--from 11 pm to 6:15 am!  It is amazing what a full night's sleep can do for my attitude.  She is a sweetheart, and I am enjoying getting to know her and figuring out all of her little quirks.  She's already changed so much in  the six weeks that I've known her, and I'm trying to soak in all of her each day.  One of the great things about my job (which I'll write about in another post this month) is that I can bring Ruby to work with me.  It's great, because I don't go stir crazy sitting at home, but I still get to spend a lot of quality time with my little munchkin each day.  Here are a few pics of "Roo" from the past six weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment