Sunday, August 30, 2009

A beautiful day!

The weather today was absolutely incredible.  It is hard to believe it is still August.  While I am certain it won't last long, it was a nice taste of the coming Fall, and it was wonderful to spend the day outside on the farm and not melt in the heat for the first time in a while.  Sometimes when we have a day like today, it really puts everything in perspective and makes me appreciate the little things and the reasons why we chose to live where we do, doing the things that we do.  I thought I'd share a few snapshots of the "little things" that I appreciated about today.

A caterpillar eating our passion vine.  We've got hundreds of them, and they turn into the most beautiful orange butterflies.  Every time I see one I think about Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  Great book, by the way.  I thought everyone had read this book as a kid, until Aaron told me he had no idea what I was talking about. 
Here are the guineas, all grown up!  They are VERY noisy, just like everyone warned us.  I think they think they are chickens, because they seem to like hanging out with them and eating their food, rather than hunting for grasshoppers.  But Aaron seems to like them, so I guess they're here to stay.
A beautiful lily that bloomed this morning for the first time since we planted the bulbs two years ago.  It sure took a while, but the payoff isn't bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment