Wednesday, February 20, 2013

First lamb of spring!

Well, we had our first lamb of the spring season born yesterday evening, and this morning, more evidence that One World Farm truly is "back." Yesterday evening Pla Shee went out to feed the animals and came back inside a few minutes later with a precious black lamb all bundled in a towel.  He was so proud, and immediately decided to name her "Brittany."  I have my suspicions about the name choice being connected to a potential love connection in his class, but he adamantly denies this. ;)

Anyway, we set up Brittany and her mom in an enclosure together, hooked up mom with water and extra feed, and called it a night.  This morning before work, both looked great, so I got them more feed and water and headed to work.  Well, wouldn't you know that on the drive to work it started pouring down rain.  Despite having already driven 20 minutes, I turned the car around and headed back home.  Then, with Kai and Ruby snuggled up in the car, I wrestled the enclosure and mama and baby sheep into the barn through the rain and mud.  All in my work clothes.  And through it all, I actually had a smile on my face.  I wasn't irritated that I was wet and muddy or that we were all going to be over an hour late to school and work.  Nope, I was smiling because I realized that One World Farm is back.  And I'm back, as an enthusiastic participant.  For the past couple of years, life has been just too demanding to allow for a return trip home to take care of a baby lamb and its mom.  Getting the kids up and dressed and fed and not forgetting lunches and extra diapers and gym clothes was all we could handle.  And that was okay, because it had to be. Just a short while ago, the prospect of going back home to check on a lamb would have been too overwhelming.  But it's not overwhelming anymore. It's okay again.  We can do this.  We can raise a happy, healthy, active family, work at jobs that fulfill us, and do the farm thing.  It's good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment