Sunday, February 21, 2010

Our Crazy Life-Part 1

Part 1--6 am-6pm

Last Friday started out like any other Friday morning.  We usually work from home on Fridays, so I got Kai up and ready, and headed out the door to go to the gym for a quick workout (he's 6 months old now, so he can go to the "Kid's Klub" at 24 hour fitness).  As I'm headed out, Aaron mentioned that he had asked a couple of men he had met at the clinic the day before who happened to be electricians to come out to our house to work on some electrical problems we had been having in Kai's room.  Turns out he had asked them to come out on Friday.  Perfect.  No worries, I thought.  Aaron would be at home to monitor the progress and figure out what supplies they would need.

So, I headed to the gym with Kai, did a short workout, and as I'm finishing up I get a call from Aaron.  He says that our refugee friend, PuLue, is being discharged from the hospital and that he needs to go pick him up from the hospital and take him home.  Okay.  Not exactly what I thought we'd be doing today, but fine.  I figured even with the drive to Dallas and back home, Aaron would still be back home by 2 pm or so, which would be before the electricians would be finished and we'd be all set.

I go back home, introduce myself to the electricians (who speak only Spanish, while I speak only English, unfortunately), and entertain Kai while attempting to get some work done.  Fast forward a few hours to about 5 pm.  Aaron's still not home, the electricians are still here.  I decide to take Kai outside with me to feed the animals before dark.  As we walk up to the sheep, I notice that Cecilia has a lamb's head emerging from under her tail.  It was stuck.  I will spare you the gory details.  Needless to say, I realized immediately that there was a problem and returned inside to call my sister, Meredith, who graduates from vet school this May.  When Meredith asked if I had any "lube" around the house, I knew my day had just taken a serious turn for the worse.  We did indeed have lube in the medical kit, purchased a couple of years ago when we got our first animals, apparently just for moments such as these.  I put Kai in his exersaucer, "lubed up" up to my elbows, and literally dove in.  I am not sure who was more traumatized--me or poor Cecilia.  Let's just say neither of us were happy campers at that point.  Sadly, the lamb was too big and had been stuck for too long, and it was dead.  Feeling defeated yet relieved, and still a bit in shock, I called Meredith back to tell her the results.  Much to my dismay, she insisted I return to the scene and "feel around to make sure there's not another lamb inside there."  What???  You have got to be kidding me.  How is this my life???  AAAHHH!!!

So, with a big sigh, I lube back up and dive back in.  Feeling nothing (though not really sure what I'm supposed to be feeling), I determine Cecilia has no more lambs hiding in her uterus and return inside again.  After getting cleaned up for the second time, I take Kai back outside to resume feeding the animals.  I round the corner, and to my amazement, there is Cecilia with a tiny black lamb--and this one is alive!  It was at this point that I realized that I would apparently be the worst vet ever, as I had only minutes before made my determination about the lack of a yet to be born twin. 

I decide that I need to tap into the people power that I have in the house, and recruit the electricians for some assistance.  While Pablo held Kai, I dragged Juan back outside to help me set up the pen for CiCi and her baby.  I am quite certain they both thought I was insane at that point.  Finally we got things set up and as I returned inside, my phone rang again. 

Yes, it gets crazier.  See Part 2 for the conclusion of this story and photos from the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment